Mark Boidman is a Managing Director and Head of Media & Entertainment. He joined Solomon Partners in 2013.
Digital media industry executives and professional publications recognize Mark as a leading investment banker in the media and technology sectors. With more than 22 years of experience in public and private mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, leveraged financings, private placements and restructurings, Mark has advised clients in industry changing transactions with a combined value exceeding $45 billion.
Mark advises companies across the media and technology sectors, including digital media and media services. He is recognized for his expertise in advertising and marketing services-based businesses, mobile, in-store media, retail tech, event tech and Out of Home (OOH) media. Mark’s OOH clients have included Adams Outdoor Advertising, AMI Entertainment, Broadsign International, Cieslok Media, CityBridge, Clear Channel Outdoor, Exterion Media, Fairway Media, GSTV, Intersection, Mood Media, Netflix, PatientPoint, OUTFRONT Media, Total Outdoor, Van Wagner and Vector Media. In addition, Mark has advised strategic clients, including Cox Enterprises, DirecTV, Discovery Communications, Disney, Liberty Media, Lionsgate Entertainment, Mediacom Communications (special committee), Netflix, RevZilla, RMG Networks, Scripps Networks and TiVo. His private equity clients have included Acon Investments, Ares, Clairvest, General Atlantic, GI Partners, KKR, L Catterton, MidOcean, Pegasus Capital, Platinum Equity, Providence Equity, Rockbridge Growth Equity, Searchlight Capital and Warburg Pincus.
Mark’s accomplishments are widely recognized. He was named to the “40 Under Forty” by the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts and the Consultants’ Training Institute (2015), Investment Banking MD of the Year by Corporate Vision Magazine’s Executive Awards (2015 and 2016) and “2015 Dealmaker of the Year” by Business Worldwide Magazine. Additionally, Mark served two terms on the Board of Directors of the Digital Signage Federation, the trade association supporting the business interests of the interactive technologies, digital signage and digital out-of-home network industries. Mark was on the advisory board of Gimbal, an integrated data and mobile media execution platform, from its early days until Qualcomm sold control of Gimbal to The Mobile Majority.
With an eye toward the advancement of professional education in media and technology, Mark writes on relevant industry trends and has been a university guest lecturer on Digital Signage. He authored Times Square Everywhere, the top-selling analysis of how digital and mobile media are changing the media industry. Mark speaks regularly at industry events, including the Consumer Electronics Show (CES), the Digital Signage Expo, The World Out of Home Organization (formerly FEPE International) Congress, the OAAA / Geopath National Convention, the NY Media Summit and the DailyDOOH Investor Conference. He is an advocate for privacy-friendly, real-time data and analytics in the OOH media and digital OOH media industries.
Prior to Solomon Partners, Mark was Head of Out of Home Media, TV Broadcasting and Radio at Barclays (Lehman Brothers) in its Global TMT Group and was a member of Lehman Brothers’ Global Advisory Committee. He began his career as an M&A attorney at Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison where he worked for four years.
RECENT CLIENT TRANSACTION EXPERIENCE INCLUDES:
- Adams Outdoor Advertising on its strategic investment from Searchlight Capital Partners and BCI
- CityBridge, the operator of LinkNYC, in a more than $200 million commitment by ZenFi Networks
- Foris Outdoor on its sale to Alight Media
- AMI Entertainment on its financing from Marathon Asset Management
- Mood Media on its sale to Vector Capital
- Ares on the $400M preferred investment by Ares and Providence in OUTFRONT Media
- Mood Media on its pre-packaged Chapter 11 restructuring
- Total Outdoor on its sale of select assets to each of American Tower, New Tradition, OUTFRONT Media and Pacific Outdoor
- Exterion Media on its sale to Global
- NETFLIX on its acquisition of certain out of home media assets of Regency
- Broadsign on its acquisition of Ayuda Media Systems
- AMI Entertainment on its sale to The Gores Group
- PatientPoint on its capital raise to build out digital media across its doctor office and hospital network
- GSTV, Rockbridge Growth Equity and Verifone on the joint venture between GSTV and Verifone’s PetroMedia businesses
- Cieslok Media on its sale to Bell Media
- Vector Media on its sale of equity to Spire Capital
- RevZilla on its sale of equity to J.W. Childs (Prospect Hill Growth Partners)
- Searchlight Capital Partners on its acquisition of TouchTunes Interactive Networks
- OUTFRONT Media (formerly CBS Outdoor) on its acquisition of the major market outdoor advertising portfolio of Van Wagner
Mark holds joint LLB and BCL degrees from the Faculty of Law at McGill University and is admitted to practice law in New York and Massachusetts. He studied business at McGill’s Faculty of Management and received the JW McConnell Academic Achievement and Leadership Scholarship. During his final year at McGill, Mark clerked for the Superior Court of Quebec.
Member, New York and Massachusetts State Bars
Served as financial advisor to H.I.G. Capital on its acquisition of Watchfire Signs
Dividend recapitalization financed by new senior secured credit facility- served as financial advisor to AMI Entertainment
Served as exclusive financial advisor to Pacific Outdoor Advertising on the sale of its Portland portfolio and other assets aggregating ~1000 displays to OUTFRONT Media
Served as exclusive financial advisor to Adams Outdoor Advertising on its strategic investment by Searchlight and BCI
Served as exclusive financial advisor to CityBridge on its $200,000,000+ investment from ZenFi Networks
Served as financial advisor to Foris on its sale to Alight Media
Served as financial advisor to AMI Entertainment Network to refinance existing indebtedness on senior secured credit facility
Served as advisor to Mood Media on its sale to Vector Capital